This month’s Office 365 Dev Digest was written by Jeremy Thake, technical product manager for the Office 365 Dev team.
Welcome to the fourth edition of Dev Digest, designed to help you—the Office 365 developer—keep-up-to date with what’s new in Office 365 development. This month has been a busy month of inquiries based on everything we announced at the Build and Ignite conferences, which has kept the team busy. I encourage you all to engage on the Office 365 Technical Network with us with your questions.
There have been some exciting new things released this month including support for Office Add-ins in Excel on the iPad. You’ll need to update your manifest file to do this to v1.1 and declare that you wish to support that client, which is documented on MSDN.
One other item of note is that the Office Graph on the Unified Endpoint (TrendingAround/WorkingWith) is coming very soon to production tenants and I’d encourage you all to go play with it in our Graph Explorer tool.
Also, a special shout out to Nintex for winning the Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) Office and SharePoint Application Development award and to the runners up—K2, harmon.ie and DocuSign Inc. It is very exciting to see their efforts to build products in the Office Store celebrated at the WPC.
Latest dev news
Check out the latest news from Office Blogs that is useful to know as an Office 365 developer.
- And SharePoint makes three!
- Nintex wins the WPC “Office and SharePoint Application Development” award
- Microsoft acquires Wunderlist
- Windows 10–July 29th release date
- Office 365 Add-in rename cheat sheet
- Office Mix amps the slideshow experience with the personality of videos
- Salesforce, SAP, Uber, Do and Smartsheet add-ins and extensibility solutions for Office 365
- Office Lens Android now available at Google Play Store
- OneNote welcomes three new partners—cloudHQ, Equil and WordPress
The Microsoft Content Publishing team works hard producing documentation to help developers learn our platform. Here are the key new and updated articles for this month:
Office 365 APIs
- Deploy and install a SharePoint-hosted app for SharePoint
- Add custom columns to a SharePoint-hosted app for SharePoint
- Add a custom content type to a SharePoint-hosted app for SharePoint
- Add a Web Part to a page in a SharePoint-hosted app for SharePoint
- Add a workflow to a SharePoint-hosted app for SharePoint
- Code Samples: OfficeDev/SharePoint_SP-hosted_Add-Ins_Tutorials
SharePoint Client Side API
- The Log Export feature for Office 365 Dedicated has been updated in MSDN.
- Rendering issues caused by the duplication of the reference documentation in the MSDN TOC have been resolved by eliminating that duplication. All SharePoint reference documentation now only appears at: Reference for SharePoint 2013
For more documentation check out Office developer documentation.
Our team is continually on the lookout for new code samples to help you jump-start your own projects. Here is a list of the most recent new and updated samples from Microsoft as well as the dev community.
For more code, samples check out the office.com/code-samples.
Most recent Office 365 Dev podcasts
Since joining Microsoft last year, I have been running around campus interviewing people about various dev topics. If you would like to hear me interview someone on a particular topic, please submit your suggestions in the Yammer group and I’ll go hunt the relevant people down to interview.
Here are the most recent podcast interviews:
- Episode 047 on the Dev Program
- Episode 048 with Eric Shupps on SharePoint Add-ins
- Episode 049 with Eric Shupps on building a dev community
- Episode 050 with Rohit Nagarmal on the Office 365 Groups API
For more podcasts check out dev.office.com/podcasts.
Patterns and practices
The Microsoft Patterns and Practices team is working hard to release samples to show the power of SharePoint Add-ins. Don’t forget to join the monthly community calls to hear the updates from them directly on Skype for Business.
Here are the latest updates from the team:
- Office 365 Developer Patterns and Practices (PnP)—June release details
- 10 hours of FREE training released this week!—Read more
- New PnP transformation process guidance released—Read more
- PnP June community call recording at Channel 9
- New training package created based on the PnP guidance at OfficeDevPnPTraining
- Numerous new videos in the PnP Channel 9 check at OfficeDevPnPVideos
- Numerous updates and new articles to PnP section in MSDN at OfficeDevPnPMSDN
Here are the latest guidance documents:
- Replace SharePoint content types and site columns
- Replace files deployed using modules in SharePoint farm solutions
- Replace SharePoint lists created from list definitions
- Replace SharePoint web parts with app parts
- Customize OneDrive for Business site branding
Dev community blog posts
The Office 365 dev community has been busy this month. It is really exciting to see the effort people put into their posts in their spare time to share with the community.
Check out these articles from the Microsoft field, MVPs and more:
- Write a PHP app to get Outlook mail
- The Ultimate Script to down Ignite videos and slides
- Office 365 Developer Flipboard magazine
- Office 365 Developer slack channel
- Getting started with SharePoint hosted apps
- Objective C and Swift iOS code sample
- Get handle on your Site closure and Policies
- Refactor Office add-ins
- Session values are lost in SharePoint Provider hosted add-ins
- PnP June community call
- PnP Usage Survey for May
- V1.1 manifests for Online and iPad client support
- Waldek Mastykarz–Office 365 SPA on any platform and Office Graph hands on lab
There are plenty of events on the horizon…don’t miss out on these great events with Office 365 content. Our team looks forward to meeting you all at these events, so don’t be shy come say hello at the Office 365 booth!
|June 19||Recode London|
|June 24-27||SPTechConDev Days Burlingame, CA|
|Aug 18 – 20||SharePoint Fest Seattle, WA|
|Oct 12||Unity Connect Amsterdam|
|Nov 9-12||European SharePoint conference|
For more events check out dev.office.com/events.