As many of you know, Excel – our beloved app – has reached the ripe old age of 25. In internet years, that’s like 200 years old! To celebrate we’re kicking off what we hope will be a fun contest centered on fond memories of Excel. The idea is to use this moment in time for Excel users (sorry limited only to the US) to share their favorite memory of how they’ve used the app, what they love about the app, etc. The stakes: we’re giving away two Xbox & Kinect packages to two people. This is a “popularity contest” so getting your friends to vote for your submission is paramount.
The contest is being run on the Excel Facebook page, so check there for more details on how to enter and get involved. Below are the rules & conditions for the contest, so be sure to read through these before entering.
We hope you’ll join us in the celebration, and if you’re up for sharing a favorite memory good luck on winning!
MICROSOFT EXCEL SOCIAL MEDIA CHALLENGE – OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft “Excel Social Media Challenge“ promotion will operate. In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Challenge. “You” refers to an eligible entrant.
The object of this challenge is to celebrate Excel’s 25th anniversary by recognizing memories that demonstrate fun ways people are using (have used) Excel. For purposes of this challenge, each memory you submit will be called an entry. All eligible entries will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This promotion starts at 12:01 AM Pacific Time (PT) on January 10, 2011 and ends at 11:59 PM PT on January 31, 2011 (“Entry Period”).
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Challenge if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are a legal resident of the 50 United States (including District of Columbia) and are 18 years of age or older; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Challenge; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Challenge.
This Challenge is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER?
You can enter the contest through the Excel @ 25 application on the Facebook platform. You can also find the application on the Excel @25 tab on the Excel Facebook page. During the Entry Period, visit http://www.facebook.com/microsoftexcel and follow the links and instructions to register for the promotion and submit your Excel memory. We will only accept one (1) entry per person. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for voting, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
- Your memory must be less than 1000 characters
- Your memory must be in the English language
- OPTIONAL: Your submission can include up to one (1) additional link pointing to a blog site, Excel file, or other supporting information.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
Throughout the challenge Entry Period, entries will be posted in an online gallery on the application webpage for public voting. Fans of the Excel Facebook Community will have the opportunity to view and vote for their favorite entry. Voting will close at 11:59 PM PT on January 31, 2011. Limit: Each individual may vote one (1) time per entry throughout the challenge Entry Period.
The top (2) entries that receive the highest number of votes will be the potential winners. Winners will be announced on the Excel Facebook page around February 4, 2011.
In its sole discretion, Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate winner should the voting appear to have been tampered with or manipulated in any way. In case of a tie, the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, will select the potential winner. Each potential Contest winner will be notified by email within seven (7) days after the close of the challenge (1/31/2011). Multiple voters are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by any voter to obtain more than the stated number of votes by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that voter’s votes and that voter may be disqualified. Use of any automated program to vote will result in disqualification.
Two (2) Grand Prizes. An Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $499.00 each.
If you are one of the two winners, we will notify you by sending an email within seven (7) days of the close of the Challenge. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the email account used to enter the Challenge. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of the Challenge:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Challenge, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Challenge you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Challenge, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Challenge; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Challenge, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CHALLENGE IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Challenge will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Challenge.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CHALLENGE CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Challenge, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Challenge. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Challenge, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Challenge.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Challenge by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Challenge, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
For a list of winners who received a prize worth $25.00 or more, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
Requests received more than one month following winner confirmation will not be fulfilled.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CHALLENGE?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
WHO IS ADMINISTRATING THIS CHALLENGE?
Spring Creek Group
311 Occidental Ave S.
Seattle, WA 98104