After several months of beta testing, Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 has officially been released as a replacement for Outlook Connector 12. Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 is compatible with Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010.
Why use the Outlook Hotmail Connector?
If you have been using Outlook Connector 12.1, you already know that it enables you to manage your Windows Live Hotmail e-mail messages, calendar, and contacts from within Outlook.
Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 introduces several improvements. For example, you might notice after upgrading that the connection to Hotmail is more reliable than before, and issues such as blank messages being synchronized to Outlook have been fixed.
Even better with Outlook 2010
With Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 and Outlook 2010, you see these additional benefits:
- Junk filter settings. Your safe sender, blocked sender, and safe recipient lists are synchronized between Outlook and Hotmail.
- Integrated Send/Receive. Send/receive works just as it does for your other Outlook accounts.
- Integrated connection status. The Hotmail account status appears in the Outlook status bar.
- Rule support for secondary accounts. Rules can be applied to the Hotmail account in Outlook, even if that is not your Outlook primary account.
- Synchronize your drafts. The Outlook Drafts folder synchronizes with the Hotmail Drafts folder.
How to install Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0
To install Outlook Hotmail Connector, whether you have an older version of Outlook Connector already installed, or you are a new user, do the following:
1. Go to the Microsoft Download Center at one of the following locations.
For Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 (32-bit):
Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 for Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 32-bit
For Outlook 2010 (64-bit):
Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 for Outlook 2010 64-bit
2. Download the setup file by clicking Download next to OutlookConnector.exe, and then save the file to your hard disk.
3. In the folder where you saved the installer, double-click OutlookConnector.exe to start the setup program.
4. Follow the instructions that appear on your screen to complete the installation.
The version number of the new Outlook Hotmail Connector is 14.0.4760.1000.
Upgrading from Outlook Connector 12.1
If you are using Outlook Connector 12.1, you can directly install Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 without uninstalling the 12.1 version.
We have seen reports of problems with the auto-upgrade mechanism used to install the latest version of Outlook Hotmail Connector. Users of Outlook Connector 12.1 were prompted to run the Outlook Hotmail Connector auto-upgrade, but were prompted to upgrade again after they completed the setup process and then restarted Outlook.
This is caused by an issue with the Outlook Connector 12.1 auto-upgrade software.
Due to this issue, we have temporarily turned off all auto-upgrade prompts. Until further notice, you can continue using Outlook Connector 12.1, or you can upgrade manually to Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 â€” in both cases, Outlook successfully synchronizes with your Windows Live Hotmail Inbox.
How to verify if the new version is installed
Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 users:
1. Open Outlook.
2. Click Outlook Hotmail Connector, and then click About Outlook Hotmail Connector.
3. The version appears in the About Outlook Hotmail Connector dialog box. If the version number is equal to or greater than 14.0.4760.1000, you have successfully installed Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0.
Outlook 2010 users:
1. Open Outlook.
2. Click the File tab.
3. Under Account Information, click the down arrow, and then select your Hotmail account:
4. Click Additional Information, and then click About Outlook Hotmail Connector.
The version number appears in the About Outlook Hotmail Connector dialog box. If the version number is equal to or greater than 14.0.4760.1000, you have successfully installed Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0.
On behalf of the entire Outlook Hotmail Connector team, thanks for trying the new Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0.
Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Outlook